Civil Disobedience- Government size

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Civil Disobedience- Government size

Post  Henry David Thoreau on Mon May 31, 2010 8:12 am

I am writing a essay on Civil Disobedience and I'm wanting some feedback on the 1st part of it.

"That government is best which governs least" is the first quote in my essay and it leads into the the reasons why a standing army is wasteful and abusable.
Henry David Thoreau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Civil Disobedience- Government size

Post  Niccolo_Machiavelli on Mon May 31, 2010 8:15 am

Well that’s a really great start and a small government is always more efficient but you would always need at least a small standing army would't you?

Last edited by Niccolo_Machiavelli on Mon May 31, 2010 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Niccolo_Machiavelli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Hobbes on Mon May 31, 2010 8:26 am

You do know what a government is right?

A government is the great equalizer that should keep all of the citizens interests at the forefront of priorities but a small government will soon be overwhelmed by the massive problems that occur in even a small country. The governments needs to be there to protect its citizens from themselves and to keep law and order. king A King is best to lead a county with a large council as well as a standing army to keep control over the people and to insure that there is no invasion from other countries that are seeking more power.

Last edited by Thomas Hobbes on Mon May 31, 2010 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Hobbes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Henry David Thoreau on Mon May 31, 2010 8:34 am

This is America. We have peace with Canada in the North, the sea to the East and West and if we retreat our army from mexico it will be easy to sign a peace treaty to insure peace in the south.

With insured peace we will not need a government office to look after the Army and we will not need to spend as much supplying the Army and paying wages for the Army.

And yes I know what a government is Hobbes Rolling Eyes

But I also know what Civil Liberties are and I'm a fan of Freedom on Facebook!

People should not be afraid affraid of the government and needing to ask permission to have the freedoms that all men should have, but the government should be afraid of the people who hold them accountable of there actions.
Henry David Thoreau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Niccolo_Machiavelli on Mon May 31, 2010 8:51 am

Hobbes the only problem with an absolute power is that it absolutely corrupts and in a Monarchy there is no accountability to the people as the ultimate power has any need to do anything that will harm his position for the greater good. What would be stopping this King from becoming an oppressing force upon the people? The first king is almost always like a father to the people. However since it is passed to whoever is next in line regardless of which they are it is possible that in 2 or 3 generations the King will not be a father but a drunken abusive step-father.

Last edited by Niccolo_Machiavelli on Mon May 31, 2010 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Niccolo_Machiavelli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  God on Mon May 31, 2010 8:54 am

Niccolo_Machiavelli wrote:Hobbes the only problem with an absolute power is that it absolutely corrupts.

Not always Razz
God
Admin

View user profile http://politicstest.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Hobbes on Mon May 31, 2010 9:01 am

God wrote:
Niccolo_Machiavelli wrote:Hobbes the only problem with an absolute power is that it absolutely corrupts.

Not always Razz

Oh snap God is on my side

Thoreau: The cost of a standing army is always cheaper then the cost of giving up your freedom to an invading army.

Machiavelli: I have the God card I win and accountability to the council of nobles who are in the land is what keeps the King in check
Thomas Hobbes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Niccolo_Machiavelli on Mon May 31, 2010 9:31 am

Hobbes the only problem with a King is that he is not God, and aren’t you an atheist?

The only problem with the Nobles is that they are not accountable to the people either they are accountable to gaining title and position with the King.
Niccolo_Machiavelli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Hobbes on Mon May 31, 2010 9:45 am

Well aren't you a womanizing frat-boy?

Just because I don't believe in your God does not mean i don't believe in God.
Thomas Hobbes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Henry David Thoreau on Mon May 31, 2010 9:54 am

Chill guys or God will Lock this thread.

Hobbes: a diplomat is always cheaper then an army and with the extra money that we can send to other in aid is always a good investment in world peace. cyclops

As well the standing army is just a mode of the government that the government itself can use and abuse to the will of the government despite what the greater good is.
Henry David Thoreau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top